Sunday, February 20, 2011

LUV2BUY

This was the license plate I saw while I was driving to church this evening. At first I got really upset and thought to myself "Geez. I hate people who are so caught up in material possessions. And to top it off this person obviously has no problem letting others know how selfish and materialistic she is."

This was until I realized I was listening to a $250 iPod in my $3,000 Mustang and would later be checking my Facebook and Twitter on a $1,000 Macbook while listening to all the hundreds of dollars worth of music I've bought on my iTunes, sitting in my finely furnished bedroom in my J. Crew outfit that costs way more than it should have.

This lady that I was driving behind was no different than me except she let everyone know that she liked to shop, while I on the other hand act like I'm better than most people because "material possessions mean nothing to me." Yeah, right.

And this is what's wrong this the World.

This is what's wrong with the Church.

This is what's wrong with Us.

Hypocrite.

Liar.

Thief.

I act no different than the people I feel are in so much trouble.

I'm not saying having nice things are bad. Buying stuff isn't bad, either. It's how we do it. So often I've actually let money control me. "I really want the new iPod Touch." or "I really need a new pair of khaki pants before I buy that shirt."

My college class at church has been going through an awesome book about the Love that God has for us and how intense His feelings are for us and yet how much we've ignored him and merely given Him our leftovers.

"Here, God. I've got a few dollars left after I bought that new system for my car. I guess you can have it. But I would really like a new jacket next week, soooooo.... yeah. I'll let you do what you do."

This is crap. The author of the book writes that it's not bad to have stuff, but stuff is just silly and unnecessary. Last week's and this week's chapters have really been about giving up everything we have. Not in a "Look how much I DON'T have and feel sorry for me" kind of way, but it's about us giving everything we have to each other.

"Hey. If you ever need a ride, give me a call."
or
"Hey. I heard you're running a bit behind on your rent. Let me help you out a bit."

This is what it's about. Let's not let our social status get in the way of giving. We've been given what we have to share. It's not like we'll be around to use it later.

So if you're reading this blog, LUV2BUY, I'm sorry that I judged you. I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment